Dear Rackham Community,
We affirm the University’s commitment to the international members of our graduate community. International students and faculty have been integral to graduate education for over 125 years. We recognize their contributions to the social diversity and intellectual excellence of our university. Our Rackham constituents have made U-M one of the great public research universities of the world. I want to reinforce the Graduate School’s steadfast support and advocate for a graduate community that is inclusive of students from any background, belief, nationality or citizenship. The University of Michigan constitutes an open and common ground where knowledge is advanced freely and scholars can pursue their academic goals without fear or persecution.
On Saturday, President Schlissel issued a statement affirming the University’s dedication to non-discrimination, privacy, and public safety. The Graduate School is working closely with University leadership to monitor the implementation of the new federal regulations regarding entry to the US by individuals who are citizens of certain countries. The new policies and their implications remain unclear; however, they are being challenged in court. The Office of the General Counsel has been seeking clarifications of the policies and the International Center is communicating with our international students and providing updates to make sure that they stay abreast of this evolving situation.
Rackham will host, “Rackham Winter Diversity Forum: Expanding the Intersections of Inclusion” on Thursday, February 2, 5:30 to 7:30pm at Rackham Graduate School in Assembly Hall. Please RSVP.
- Maryam Aziz, Ph.D. Candidate in American Culture
- Nitin Garg, Ph.D. Candidate in Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering, & Scientific Computing
- Dr. Mark Kamimura-Jimenez, Assistant Dean, Rackham Graduate School
- Chelsea Noble, U-M alum and Graduate Coordinator for Professional Development at Spectrum Center
- Dr. Katrina Wade-Golden, Assistant Vice Provost and Director of Implementation for Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Strategic Plan