The Rackham Graduate Student Emergency Fund is intended to help meet the financial needs of Rackham graduate students who encounter an emergency situation or one-time, unusual, or unforeseen expenses during their degree program. Examples include:
- Medical, dental, or mental health emergencies for the student or, in some circumstances, for immediate family members who live with the student
- Major accidents and events such as fire and natural disasters
- Expenses related to the death of an immediate family member
Normal living expenses such as rent, car repairs, child care, utilities, taxes, insurance, pet-related expenses, and computer/laptop replacement are generally not covered by this fund. Additionally, expenses incurred solely due to voluntary or involuntary loss of employment are generally not covered by this fund.
Students who are experiencing financial difficulties that exceed the scope of this fund are encouraged to contact Graduate Student and Consultation Services by email or by phone at 734.647.9781. Visit the Office of the Provost’s Student Emergency Funds page for additional university resources.
Students must be enrolled in a Rackham degree program. Rackham doctoral students are limited to two (2) Emergency Fund awards and master’s students are limited to one (1) Emergency Fund award during their graduate career. Ph.D. students on an approved leave of absence are eligible if they were in good academic standing at the beginning of the period of leave, have an approved plan for return to active study at the conclusion of the leave, and experience an emergency situation or unforeseen expense that would interfere with their ability to return to active study as planned.
Students who are experiencing financial difficulties that exceed the scope of this fund may request a meeting with Rackham staff to further explore the difficulties they are experiencing. Staff will be in touch with students to help address needs, concerns, and to assist with campus referrals, as appropriate.
Applications from students are reviewed on a weekly basis once the application is complete. While emergency funds can be used for urgent needs, actual processing time to receive funds can be 5 to 7 business days from date of approval.
Awards may be up to $2,500 each.
For students who qualify for need-based financial aid (including the child care subsidy), receipt of this Rackham award may reduce the original loan amount or subsidy. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid prior to submitting your application for help evaluating your individual circumstance and possible impact to your financial aid.
Students should apply online. Before applying for emergency funds, students are encouraged to speak to their faculty advisors and the graduate chairs of their programs. These individuals may be able to help identify sources of financial assistance and/or provide useful advice. The online application includes the following:
- Brief statement describing the emergency situation or one-time, unusual, or unforeseen expense and the total dollar amount of emergency funds being requested. (1,500 words)
- Budget detailing the amount of emergency funding requested, a list of current expenses and an itemized list of how the funds will be used, and your financial situation including sources of income and other available funding. (1,500 words)