Upcoming Orientation Sessions
Please register to attend a monthly orientation session designed for newly arrived postdocs. Orientations include information about the role of postdoctoral fellows at Michigan, working with your P.I. or advisor, campus resources, benefits, and the UMPDA.
New U-M Postdoctoral Checklist and Orientation Slides
Use this checklist as a guide to ensure you have all the necessary information complete for on-boarding at the University of Michigan. The monthly Postdoctoral Orientation slides are available as a downloadable PDF (updated July 12, 2023). Attending orientation is strongly encouraged, but the slides are provided in the event that postdoctoral fellows are unable to attend orientation and for the sake of accessibility.
As part of the Coalition of Next Generation Life Sciences, U-M shares a number of figures about postdoctoral fellows for those considering careers in the biomedical sciences and those wishing to learn more about postdocs.
Connect with Community
U-M Postdoctoral Association (UMPDA)
All postdoctoral fellows are members of the U-M Postdoctoral Association.
Explore UMPDA’s website to learn how to connect with UMPDA’s co-chairs, attend a board meeting, join a peer circle, and more.
Michigan Postdoc Association of the College of Engineering (MPACE)
The Michigan Postdoctoral Association of the College of Engineering (MPACE) was established to provide professional development and socialization for CoE’s over 200 postdocs. Visit MPACE’s website to learn more.
Rackham Life Resources
On the Rackham Life page, find links to information on a range of topics that we hope will enhance your time at Michigan and help you find assistance when you need it, from connections to community groups to tips on living in Ann Arbor and resources for your personal well-being.
Leverage Your Postdoc Training
Career Conversation Templates
It is encouraged that you copy these resources into your Google Drive and use them as guides to have conversations with your mentor.
- Compact Between Postdoctoral Appointees and Their Mentors
- Annual Evaluation for Postdoctoral Fellows
Postdoctoral Certificates of Completion
Per U-M’s Standard Practice Guide 201.19, recognition of postdoctoral training will be issued to a Postdoctoral Research Fellow upon successful completion of the program. The responsibility for issuing certificates has been assigned to the Rackham Graduate School, upon verification of the completed training.
After verification that the postdoctoral fellow has successfully completed the training requirements, an electronic copy of the certificate will be emailed directly to the postdoctoral fellow. Certificates are created and emailed on a weekly basis depending upon receipt of the required verification.
Please contact [email protected] if you have any questions regarding these certificates, including a status update, to request a correction, or request for a physical copy to be mailed.
- U-M School, College, and Unit Contacts for Questions and Concerns
- U-M Medical School’s Office of Postdoctoral Studies
- U-M Postdoctoral Association (UMPDA)
- Michigan Postdoctoral Association of the College of Engineering (MPACE)
- U-M College of Engineering Postdoctoral Information
Professional and Career Development
- Rackham Graduate School Professional Development and Engagement (PDE)
- U-M Medical School Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (OGPS)
- U-M California Alliance Research Exchange Program
- U-M Center for Research on Learning and Teaching (CRLT)
- U-M CEW+
- U-M English Language Institute
- U-M International Center
- U-M Postdoctoral Postings and Administered Programs
- U-M Postdoctoral Short-Course on College Teaching in Science and Engineering
- U-M Preparing Future Faculty (PFF)
- Big Ten Academic Alliance Professorial Advancement Initiative (U-M postdoctoral fellows should send inquiries to [email protected])
- National Postdoc Association (NPA) Resource Library (includes career guides)
Funding for Postdocs
- Rackham Postdoctoral Professional Travel with Children
- UMPDA Outstanding Postdoctoral Fellow Award
- U-M Medical School Funding Opportunities
- U-M Office of the Vice President for Research Funding Resources
- Johns Hopkins Curated List of Postdoc Funding Opportunities
- U-M Benefits for Postdoctoral Research Fellows
- U-M Research Integrity
- U-M Standard Practice Guide for Postdoctoral Research Fellows
- Rackham Conflict Resolution
- Michigan Medicine Employee Assistance Program
- Michigan Medicine Psychiatric Emergency Services
- U-M Academic Human Resources Dispute Resolution Policies
- U-M Campus Disability Resource Directory
- U-M Faculty and Staff Counseling and Consultation Office (FASCCO)
- U-M MHealthy
- U-M Psychological Clinic
- U-M Recreational Facilities
- U-M Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center (SAPAC)
- U-M Well-Being Collective
- U-M Work/Life Resource Center (resources for childcare, lactation, elder care, etc.)