Rackham Professional Development DEI Certificate
Rackham is committed to enhancing the development and training offerings related to diversity, equity, and inclusion for all University of Michigan graduate students and postdoctoral fellows and is now offering a Professional Development DEI Certificate. This program is designed to prepare participants to work in a diverse environment while fostering a climate of inclusivity. Upon successful completion of the program, University of Michigan certificate participants will possess:
- Increased DEI knowledge and skills to prepare them for a diverse and global job market
- The ability to accurately define and conceptualize DEI terms
- Opportunities for further engagement in DEI scholarship and leadership positions
- A diversity statement that demonstrates commitment to DEI
- An official certificate of completion (signed by the dean of Rackham Graduate School and the University of Michigan chief diversity officer), which can be listed on a curriculum vitae or resume
- Complete five core DEI professional development trainings/workshops. (See table below.)
- Attend a minimum of five additional professional development trainings in a specialized skill track of their interest (e.g., teaching, research, leadership, or service/engagement).
- Submit a reflection form within 72 hours of completing each training. (Instructions on submission will be provided to participants upon acceptance to the program.)
- Submit a diversity statement that integrates and highlights their DEI professional development experience(s).
- Conduct an informational interview.
- Participate in the Intercultural Development Inventory (IDI) Assessment (pre-survey, group meeting, individual assessment, and post-survey).
Professional Development DEI Certificate Core Trainings List
Participants must complete the five core DEI professional development trainings listed in the table below. Rackham will offer sessions related to these topics, or you can attend an equivalent training.
PD DEI Certificate Core Trainings List
- Creating an Inclusive Environment or Responding to Microaggressions
- Writing a Diversity Statement or Demonstrating a Commitment to Diversity
- Bystander Intervention
- Unconscious Bias
- Learning About Difference or Communicating Across Identities
Participation in events and workshops does not have to take place in any particular order.
Rackham’s Professional Development DEI Certificate has been designed so that participants can successfully complete it over the course of a year. However, students are not required to complete the program in one year and are encouraged to advance through the program at a pace that is comfortable for them. In order to obtain the certificate, participants will need to complete all program requirements before graduating.
Contact Professional and Academic Development
1530 Rackham Building
915 E. Washington St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1070
Phone: (734) 647-4013
Fax: (734) 936-2848
Professional and Academic Development is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The office is closed Saturdays and Sundays and on the following holidays: Thanksgiving (Thursday and the following Friday), Christmas through New Year's, Memorial Day, Independence Day (July 4), and Labor Day.