Upon successful completion of the program, participants will possess:
- Increased DEI knowledge and skills to prepare them for a diverse and global job market
- The ability to accurately define and conceptualize DEI terms
- Opportunities for further engagement in DEI scholarship and leadership positions
- A diversity statement that demonstrates commitment to DEI
- An official certificate of completion, signed by the dean of Rackham Graduate School and the University of Michigan chief diversity officer, which can be listed on a curriculum vitae or resume
The program is open only to University of Michigan graduate students and postdoctoral fellows.
- Complete five core DEI professional development trainings/workshops.
- Attend a minimum of five additional professional development trainings in a specialized skill track of their interest, for example, teaching, research, leadership, or service/engagement.
- Submit a reflection form within 72 hours of completing each training. Instructions on submission will be provided to participants upon acceptance to the program.
- Submit a diversity statement that integrates and highlights their DEI professional development experiences.
- Conduct an informational interview.
- Participate in the Intercultural Development Inventory (IDI) Assessment: pre-survey, group meeting, individual assessment, and post-survey.
Participants must complete the five core professional development diversity, equity, and inclusion trainings listed in this section. Rackham will offer sessions related to these topics, or you can attend an equivalent training. Participation in events and workshops does not have to take place in any particular order.
Core Trainings List
- Creating an Inclusive Environment or Responding to Microaggressions
- Writing a Diversity Statement or Demonstrating a Commitment to Diversity
- Bystander Intervention
- Unconscious Bias
- Learning About Difference or Communicating Across Identities
Completing the Certificate
Participants can successfully complete the certificate over the course of a year. Students are not required to complete the program in one year and are encouraged to advance through the program at a pace that is comfortable for them. In order to obtain the certificate, participants will need to complete all program requirements before graduating.
Program Dashboard for Current Participants
Use the program dashboard to submit your reflection forms after participating in an event or workshop.
DEI Certificate Ceremony
Congratulations to everyone who received their Rackham Professional Development Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Certificates! We wish we could celebrate with you in person, but we’re pleased to recognize your accomplishment nonetheless! Visit our DEI Certificate Ceremony page to see messages of congratulations from Rackham Dean Mike Solomon and others to all of our 2020 certificate recipients.