Designing Your Life
What is a well-designed life? How do you find a career where you can thrive? Inspired by Stanford’s Designing Your Life curriculum, this interactive, six-week seminar teaches graduate students design principles for building an intentional, fulfilling career.
Design Productive and Satisfying Careers
This interactive, six-week seminar teaches graduate students design principles for building an intentional, fulfilling career. In the same way that designers solve problems to build technology, products, and spaces that serve the needs of their users, participants will use the principles in this course to design productive and satisfying careers.
Designing Your Life is a non-credit bearing mini-course that takes place annually in fall term. It is open to graduate students and postdocs at any stage of their degree or professional development.
The 2023 Designing Your Life Series will take place during the fall semester. Registration will open in August.
You Will Learn How To
Define Where You Are
Assess your goals, values, and priorities to identify careers aligned with your sense of meaning and purpose.
Imagine Career Paths
Take meaningful action to imagine multiple paths towards a satisfying and fulfilling career.
Engage in “radical collaboration” to build community with other students and postdocs and harness collective creativity in your career exploration.
- Rackham’s Life Design Seminar
- Standford University’s Life Design Lab spotlighted Rackham’s “Designing Your Life” seminar series as one of their studio case studies.
- Stanford Life Design Lab Resources
- Explore resources and videos for the Designing Your Life curriculum, provided by the Stanford Design Lab.
- Designing Principles for Exploring Your Career
- Laura Schram, co-facilitator for Rackham’s Designing Your Life workshop, shares three valuable ways of thinking about how to thrive beyond the Ph.D.
- Designing Your Life by Bill Burnett and Dave Evans
- Discover the book inspired by the Stanford Design Lab and learn how to build a well-designed, joyful life.