New Internship Posting and Application Portal Coming Soon!
The Rackham Graduate School will be using a new application portal for internships with Rackham partner organizations. Students will apply through Rackham Doctoral Intern Fellowship Application Portal for the Winter 2023 program cycle. The program requirements, guidelines, and materials required remain the same.
Internships will be posted in early October, 2022. The application deadline will be announced at that time. All selection decisions will be made by the beginning of December, 2022.
Students interested in applying for a Winter 2023 Doctoral Intern Fellowship can start the process by obtaining approval from their Director of Graduate Study. You can also attend Rackham Professional Development workshops (added regularly to the Rackham events calendar) to help you prepare your cover letters, resumes, and interview skills.
Looking For Funding to Support an Internship You’ve Already Secured?
Students who have found or created an internship on their own and would like to request funding to support this effort can apply to the student-identified internship funding track, where applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This application portal will not be changing until 2023.
- Only doctoral students who have achieved candidacy are eligible to apply.
- Students must be in good academic standing and must obtain authorization from their Director of Graduate Studies (DGS) to apply.
- International students may participate in the program, but will need appropriate work authorization to do so for internship sites off campus. No additional work authorization is required for on-campus internship sites. International students should consult with the International Center to discuss what work authorization may be needed in order to participate in an internship well in advance of applying and to discuss Curricular Practical Training (CPT).
- If you are selected for an internship, you must sign a student agreement, complete a work plan using Rackham’s template, and attend monthly cohort meetings (conducted remotely online) facilitated by Rackham staff during your internship.
- Students may only receive one Fall or Winter Doctoral Intern Fellowship during their graduate study at Rackham.
Students with questions about the guidelines or requirements for student-identified intern fellowships should email Rackham Professional and Academic Development.
Application Process and Materials
Please read the project descriptions and application instructions carefully. Applicants must submit the following materials:
1. Departmental Approval
You must obtain authorization from your Director of Graduate Studies (DGS) indicating your eligibility to participate in the program if selected for an internship. Applications without DGS authorization will not be considered.
2. Cover Letter
A cover letter which includes the applicant’s full name, email address, and graduate program, should be tailored to the specific organization and project. Your cover letter should be no more than two pages and answer these questions:
- What are the skills and experience you bring to the organization?
- What do you hope to learn from the internship experience with this organization?
3. Current Résumé
You must include a current résumé (not a CV) outlining your experience and qualifications. It should be no more than two pages. Best practice is to tailor your materials to the specific project and organization(s) to which you are applying.
4. Professional References
Please provide full name and contact information for three references along with your resume. Upload your cover letter, résumé, and references as a single PDF or Word document using Rackham’s application portal.
Partner organizations will schedule interviews with applicants. You can leverage the services of Rackham's embedded career counselor to prepare your cover letter, resume, and for your interview—appointments can include cover letter or resume review, tailored interview tips and strategies, as well as mock interviews. Schedule an appointment at the University Career Center's website.
Applications for remaining positions will be accepted on rolling basis.