Rackham Professional Development Leader (RPDL) Program
Call for Applications for the Rackham Professional Development Leader (RPDL) Program
This year, Rackham’s Professional and Academic Development team is recruiting Rackham Professional Development Leaders (RPDLs) to serve from Fall 2019-Winter 2020. This Rackham program recruits and trains a core of graduate students from across the university to serve as Rackham graduate student professional development leaders. RPDLs will be professional development allies that will liaise between Rackham and graduate departments and programs in a variety of ways. These include facilitating workshops, and coordinating activities and resources related to professional development with the support of Rackham. We will identify leaders from different departments to help Rackham connect to the broader campus community and raise awareness about resources and opportunities for graduate student professional development.
We seek to create a diverse RPDL cohort, with 15 graduate students from across the university. We will seek representation from a diverse range of departments.
- Attend a mandatory half-day orientation training 12:00 to 5:00 p.m. on August 23, as well as RPDL meetings 1 to 2 times per month throughout the academic year
- Plan one departmental and/or school programs (e.g., workshops, panels, dialogues, etc.) of their choosing related to professional development (career exploration, job search, internships, skill development, preparing future faculty, DEI, etc.) in winter 2020
- Support one Rackham project over the course of the 2019-20 academic year. Each member of the group will participate in one project that fits their skillset.
- RPDLs will receive an annual stipend of $2,500
- Up to $500 for each RPDL member for materials and hosting for departmental and/or school program(s)
Please note: International students with a 0.50 appointment (20 hours per week) are not eligible for this program due to visa regulations. International students with less than 0.50 appointments are eligible to apply, but must adjust RPDL hours to ensure that they do not exceed the 20 hour per week limit.
RPDL applicants should submit the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A cover letter explaining your past experiences and qualifications for the position, as well as how the position fits in your long-term professional goals. Please share any professional development leadership experiences on campus and/or nationally. Please note all CRLT and IGR training workshops you have attended.
- A C.V./resume.
- At least one letter of recommendation from a faculty member or a university staff member who can speak to your leadership in the area of professional development.
The Application Deadline is March 29, 2019.
International Student Eligibility
International students with a 0.50 appointment (20 hours per week) are not eligible for this program due to visa regulations. International students with less than 0.50 appointments are eligible to apply, but must adjust RPDL hours to ensure that they do not exceed the 20 hour per week limit.
Contact Professional and Academic Development
1530 Rackham Building
915 E. Washington St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1070
Phone: (734) 647-4013
Fax: (734) 936-2848
Professional and Academic Development is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The office is closed Saturdays and Sundays and on the following holidays: Thanksgiving (Thursday and the following Friday), Christmas through New Year's, Memorial Day, Independence Day (July 4), and Labor Day.