Appendix C: Rackham Academic Dispute Resolution Policy Flow Chart
Begin with Informal Dispute Resolution Approaches
When a conflict arises, the student may consult with the school or college Resolution Officer or Rackham Resolution Officer to discuss resolution options.
If the Parties Are Unable to Reach a Resolution
If the parties are unable to reach a resolution through Alternative Dispute Resolution practices, or the nature of the dispute is not appropriate for informal resolution, or if a school or college does not have a dispute resolution process.
Rackham Formal Resolution Process
- Students submit their complaint in writing within ten (10) business days of receipt of the program’s written decision, notification of the outcome of the informal process, or other action leading to the dispute.
- Rackham Resolution Officer invites all parties to submit written statements within 5 business days
- Ad Hoc committee review submitted written materials
- Written decision to student, Director of Graduate School or Program Director and School or College Dean within 10 business days of receipt of written materials
Are the Parties Satisfied with the Decision?
- If yes, the process has completed
- If no, continue to the Rackham Appeal Process
Rackham Appeal Process
- Parties asked to submit summary statements within 5 business days of receipt of Ad Hoc committee decision
- Rackham Dean reviews Ad Hoc Committee written decision and parties summary statements
- Rackham Dean determines outcome based on information presented
- Notification within 10 business days of outcome to all parties, and school or college Dean
- Process ends