Current and Former Rackham Students
Change of Program
From subsection 2.9 of the Graduate School Academic Policies
Students may apply to change from one graduate program to another within the Graduate School. This change requires full consideration by the new program’s admissions committee. The student must submit a new full application and should contact the new program for information about the supporting materials that may be needed. International students must supply documentation of additional funding if a change of program will result in the issuance of new immigration documents.
While doctoral students who receive a master’s in their field on the way to the doctorate do not need to apply for this degree, students who wish to change from one degree program to another within the same field of specialization, such as from the master’s program in Economics to the doctoral program in Economics, must apply for a change of program following the new full application procedures described above. Candidates applying to another doctoral program will revert to precandidacy status.
Change of Status
If you are a current Rackham student seeking one of the following program changes you must submit a Change of Status Application.
|You are enrolled in the PIBS program and require a change to a specialized Rackham doctoral program. PIBS students should contact the PIBS Office for their specific Rackham doctoral program codes.||A PIBS student needs to change to the Rackham doctoral program in Pharmacology.|
|You are enrolled in a Rackham Ph.D. program and need to change to a Rackham master’s program in the same department.||A Ph.D. student in the Mechanical Engineering program needs to change to the master’s program in Mechanical Engineering. The master’s program is a terminal degree not a master’s earned on the way to a doctoral degree.|
|You are enrolled in a Student-Initiated Degree Program (SIDP) and are required to change to a single Ph.D. program in one area of specialization.||A student in an SIDP between Anthropology and History needs to change to the Ph.D. program in History.|
|You are enrolled in a Rackham degree program and are required to change to another Rackham degree program at the same level and in the same field of specialization (requires preapproval by Rackham Admissions and the proposed graduate program).||A student in the master’s in Educational Studies program needs to change to the master’s in Higher Education. The master’s in Higher Education program and Rackham Admissions must approve the use of the Change of Status Application.|
If You Are Not Eligible
Rackham students seeking a program change that is not eligible for the Change of Status process must submit the full Rackham Graduate Program Application.
Deadlines vary by program. Check with your program’s graduate coordinator or look up your program’s deadline and contact information in our Programs of Study.
The Change of Status Application is available online. Students must use their uniqname and password to access the application. No application fee is required.
Please contact Rackham Admissions if you have questions about the Change of Status Application.
Former Rackham students who seek to re-enroll in a Rackham certificate, master’s or Doctor of Musical Arts (D.M.A.) pre-candidacy level, program after not registering in the program for more than 12 months.
Example of an Eligible Applicant
- A Rackham student enrolls in the M.S. program in Statistics in the fall of 2008.
- The student discontinues attendance in the program at the end of winter 2009 without receiving the M.S. degree.
- The former student seeks to return to the same Master of Science in Statistics program in the fall of 2012.
- This former student submits the online Application for Readmission for the fall 2012 academic term.
For more information refer to Section 2.3.3 of the Graduate School Academic Policies, Readmission to a Master’s or D.M.A. Program.
Exceptions (applying for readmission is not required to re-enroll)
- Rackham master’s and Doctor of Musical Arts (D.M.A.), pre-candidacy level, students returning from detached study and seeking to continue enrollment in the same program. Refer to Section 2.3.1 of the Graduate School Academic Policies, Detached Study for D.M.A. and Master’s Students.
- Rackham D.M.A. doctoral candidates seeking to continue study in the D.M.A. program should contact the program and a Records Evaluator for assistance.
- Rackham doctoral pre-candidates and candidates in all programs other than the Doctoral of Musical Arts must apply for reinstatement. Contact the doctoral program and a Records Evaluator for assistance.
- Rackham students seeking to enroll in a “new” Rackham program (no previous attendance) must submit the Rackham Graduate Program Application.
Deadlines vary by program. Check with your program’s graduate coordinator or lookup your program’s deadline and contact information in our Programs of Study.
The Readmission Application is available online. Be prepared to complete or include the following:
- A uniqname and password which are required to apply for readmission.
- Information and Technology Services will assist you with creating or reactivating a uniqname and choosing a password. Please refer to Getting a Uniqname and Directory Profile-Students on the Ann Arbor Campus for instructions and help desk contact information.
- If your mailing address, email address or phone number needs to be updated, log into Wolverine Access to update your contact information
- Readmission Application (there is no processing fee).
- Admissions Conduct Code.
- Narrative responses to questions about discontinuing enrollment and returning to active status in a Rackham graduate program of previous attendance.
Add a Degree or Certificate Program
Currently active Rackham students in good academic standing who complete at least one semester in regular Rackham degree or certificate programs are eligible to add on additional Rackham degree or certificate programs.
- Separate degrees or certificates will be awarded for each completed program.
- The degrees or certificates can be awarded in separate semesters.
- Double-counting of credit may contribute to the awarding of degrees.
For more information refer to Section 6. Dual Degree Programs of the Graduate School Academic Policies.
Examples of Eligible Applicants
- A Rackham student enrolled in good standing in the Master’s program in Creative Writing in fall of 2017 seeks to add the Rackham Master’s in Educational Studies in winter 2018.
- A Rackham student in good standing in the Doctoral program in Sociology in fall 2017 seeks to add the Master’s program in Computer Science and Engineering in winter of 2018.
- A Rackham student in good standing in the Doctoral program in Sociology and the Master’s program in Computer Science and Engineering in fall 2017 seeks to add the Certificate in Computational Discovery and Engineering in winter 2018.
Rackham doctoral students are only permitted to be active in one doctoral program at a time. Doctoral students who wish to pursue a single Ph.D. across two programs should complete the Student Initiated Single Degree Program form. Please contact email@example.com, (734) 763-0171, if you have questions about the form or process.
Rackham students in Rackham master’s or certificate programs who seek to add Rackham doctoral programs must submit the Rackham Graduate Program Application and application fee in order to provide full application materials to admission committees.
Non-Rackham Students Seeking to Add Rackham Programs
Non-Rackham students at the University of Michigan who seek admission to Rackham degree or certificate programs must submit the online Rackham Graduate Program Application and application fee.
Rackham Students Seeking to Add Non-Rackham Programs
Rackham students who seek admission to non-Rackham programs are required to submit the appropriate non-Rackham applications and application fees.
Deadlines vary by program. Check with the graduate coordinators of the current and proposed programs or refer to our Programs of Study for program contact information and deadlines.
Graduate Program Requirements
Applicants should check with the current and proposed Rackham programs to determine program-specific requirements.
Your uniqname and Kerberos password are required to access the application. No application fee is required. Be prepared to complete or include the following:
- The names, codes and, optionally, sub-plans of up to two currently active Rackham programs and one proposed Rackham program. Applicants who are enrolled in more than 2 current Rackham programs should contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance
- A curriculum vitae or resume file
- An academic statement of purpose
- An Admission Conduct Code
0120 Rackham Building
915 E. Washington St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1070
Admissions is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The office is closed Saturdays and Sundays and on the following holidays: Thanksgiving (Thursday and the following Friday), Christmas through New Year's, Memorial Day, Independence Day (July 4), and Labor Day.