Select Page
Home » Admissions » Applying to UM-Ann Arbor » Changing Ann Arbor Campus Personal Information

Changing Ann Arbor Campus Personal Information

Before applying to Rackham Graduate School ensure that the personal information you will submit with your application matches the information in Ann Arbor campus records.

Types of Personal Information

Legal documentation is usually required to update personal information. Please consult with the Registrar’s Office or the Shared Services Center to determine which documents you will need to make the update.

  • Primary Name (Legal Name)
  • Date of Birth
  • Birth Location, Birth Country, Birth State
  • Gender
  • National ID: U.S. social security number
  • Citizenship Country
  • Citizenship Status: Citizenship status in the United States
  • Visa/Permit Data
  • Ethnicity/Racial Survey

Example Scenario

A former undergraduate from the University of Michigan Ann Arbor campus changes their legal name after graduating. They plan on applying to a master’s program within Rackham. We advise that they use the U-M Human Resources Personal Data Changes eForm before submitting their application for admission, and request that their legal name be changed in their Ann Arbor campus records to ensure that the name entered in the application matches.

Current Students

Current students should contact the Registrar’s Office to update their personal information. If you have questions, email the Registrar’s Office at or call 734.647.3507.

You can update your personal information by visiting a Student Services Site or by sending your request by mail to the address below. Please note, personal information should never be sent via email.

Student Services – Central Campus
Office of the Registrar
University of Michigan
2200 SAB
515 E. Jefferson St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316

Processing takes 1 to 3 business days after all required documentation is received.

Former Students, Alumni, and Current Ann Arbor Employees

Former students, alumni, and current Ann Arbor employees should use the U-M Human Resources Personal Data Changes eForm to update their personal information. If you have questions, email the Shared Services Center at or call 734.615.2000 or 1.866.647.7657.

Follow the directions for completing and submitting the form and associated legal documents. Please note, personal information should never be sent via email.

Former Employees and Retirees

If you are a former employee or retiree please do not fill out the eForm: Contact the U-M Human Resources Customer Care Team to process your request.

U-M Human Resources Customer Care Team: 734.615.2000 press 1, press 1

If You Are an International Citizen Holding a Non-Immigrant Visa

Consult with the office that issued the immigration documents for the non-immigrant visa to determine if the change in personal information will impact your immigration documents before changing personal information. Changing the personal information in your University of Michigan record may require requesting new immigration documents.

Contact Admissions

0120 Rackham Building
915 E. Washington St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1070
Phone: 734.764.8129
Fax: 734.615.7535


Admissions is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

The office is closed Saturdays and Sundays and on the following holidays: Thanksgiving (Thursday and the following Friday), Christmas through New Year's, Memorial Day, Independence Day (July 4), and Labor Day.

Rackham Graduate School will be closed for the Thanksgiving holiday at 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 21. We will return at 8:00 a.m. on Monday, November 26. During the holiday, there will be no processing of application materials and no updates to your Wolverine Access account. After we reopen, there will be a delay in processing application materials. Thank you for your patience as we process the high volume of materials.