Letters of Recommendation
Electronic submission is the highly preferred method to submit letters of recommendations.
The deadline to submit letters of recommendation varies by program; check your graduate programs website for more information.
Tips for Registering Recommenders:
- You will need each recommender’s name, mailing address, email address, phone number, institution or employer, and title.
- Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, if you are admitted and decide to enroll, you have access to your education record, including letters of recommendation at U-M.
- If you select “Yes” to waive your right, you will not have access to the letter of recommendation.
- If you select “No” to waive your right, then you will have access to the letter of recommendation.
- Students should note that some recommenders may choose not to prepare a recommendation if these rights have not been waived. You will not be able to change the waiver status once your recommender has logged into their online recommendation account.
- You may register your recommenders in ApplyWeb before completing your application. In ApplyWeb select “Submit Recommendation Request” to confirm. An invitation email is then sent to your recommender.
- Registering your recommenders must be completed before you submit your application.
- Recommendations can be uploaded to your application before or after you have submitted your application.
- Check the status of your letters of recommendation, change a recommender, or resend the notification email to your recommender using the ApplyWeb Activity Page.
- You can only change your recommender if status displays as “Not Started.” You are able to update the name of the recommender and the email address. The other contact information cannot be edited.
- If the status is “Completed” or “In Progress” you cannot change your recommender, contact the graduate program for an alternative for submitting a recommendation.
After Registering Your Recommenders:
If your recommender needs to send a letter of recommendation by postal service or email, you must first get approval from the graduate program. The graduate program may refer you to the Recommendation for Admission paper form. Do not send this form or the letter of recommendation to Rackham.
0120 Rackham Building
915 East Washington Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1070
Admissions is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The office is closed Saturdays and Sundays and on the following holidays: Thanksgiving (Thursday and the following Friday), Christmas through New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day (July 4), and Labor Day.