Tips for test registration and reporting:
- Register early to maximize the chances of scheduling preferred test dates and times.
- Use your legal name as stated on your passport or birth certificate when registering for your exams and when completing the online application, to prevent a delay in matching your test scores to your application.
Consult your graduate program website for information about submitting scores. Contact information is listed in our Programs of Study. Each graduate program sets its own policy. If GRE scores are required, send them to institution code 1839.
TOEFL, ECPE, IELTS, and MELAB
Rackham English Proficiency Requirements
Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency, unless they meet one of the criteria for an exemption listed below.
Language test scores are valid two years from the test date. The scores must be received from the testing agency no later than the graduate program application deadline.
Photocopies and/or faxes of English proficiency scores will not be accepted.
|Description of Test||Assessment Provider||Speaking Test||Minimum Overall Score||Submission of Test Scores|
|IBT TOEFL||Educational Testing Service||Yes||84||TOEFL scores are sent by ETS electronically to institution code: 1839|
|Paper/Pencil TOEFL and TWE (For tests taken prior to July 2017)||Educational Testing Service||No||560||TOEFL scores are sent by ETS electronically to institution code: 1839|
|Revised Paper Delivered Test (For tests taken July 2017 or later)||Educational Testing Service||No||An overall score is not provided for this test. Minimum section scores: Reading = 23; Listening = 23; Writing = 21||TOEFL scores are sent by ETS electronically to institution code: 1839|
The last test administration was June 2018. Official score reports are available two years from the test date.
|Cambridge Michigan Language Assessments||Optional||80||Scores are mailed directly to the Rackham Graduate School from the testing agency. Mailing address: Rackham Graduate School, 915 E. Washington St., Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1070|
|IELTS||Cambridge, United Kingdom||Academic version||6.5||Scores can be sent electronically or mailed directly to the Rackham Graduate School from the testing agency. Mailing address: Rackham Graduate School, 915 E. Washington St., Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1070|
|ECPE||Cambridge Michigan Language Assessments||Yes||certificate of proficiency||Scores must be sent directly to the Rackham Graduate School from the testing agency. Mailing address: Rackham Graduate School, 915 E. Washington St., Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1070|
Rackham English Proficiency Exemptions
You qualify for an exemption from taking an English proficiency examination if one of the following criteria are met:
- You are a native speaker of English.
- You completed all of your undergraduate education and earned an undergraduate degree at an institution where the language of instruction is English only.
- You completed all of your graduate education and earned a graduate degree at an institution where the language of instruction is English only.
- If you completed a Master’s degree that was strictly research and no academic classes, that degree does not meet the exemption. This type of Master’s degree is generally awarded at a non-U.S. institution.
- You are a current U-M student.
Examples of meeting the English Proficiency Exemption criteria:
- You completed the last three years of your undergraduate degree at the University of Michigan, and in addition, earned a Master’s degree that was one and one-half years in duration at the University of London.
- You completed the last two years of your undergraduate degree at the University of Melbourne, and in addition, earned a Master’s degree from the University of Michigan.
An example of not meeting the English Proficiency Exemption criteria:
You completed two years of an undergraduate degree program at an overseas institution (Fudan University) where the medium of instruction is a language other than English. You then transferred to an institution (Monash University) where all classes are taught exclusively in English and earned a degree from that institution.
Graduate Program English Proficiency Requirements
Some graduate programs require higher language scores than the Rackham Graduate School or English proficiency scores from all non-native speakers of English regardless of their previous educational experience. Consult your graduate program website for any additional test requirements and submission deadlines. Contact information is listed in our Programs of Study.
0120 Rackham Building
915 E. Washington St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1070
Admissions is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The office is closed Saturdays and Sundays and on the following holidays: Thanksgiving (Thursday and the following Friday), Christmas through New Year's, Memorial Day, Independence Day (July 4), and Labor Day.