Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Fellowships are available to students who are currently enrolled in and pursuing a graduate degree at the University of Michigan.
- The fellowship is open to students pursuing a graduate degree in the humanities, social sciences, or natural sciences (including law, medicine, engineering, architecture, or other formal professional training). The selection committee has a strong preference for supporting scholarly endeavors.
- The candidate must have received a baccalaureate degree at the time of application and have an outstanding undergraduate record.
- The candidate must demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- The candidate must be a citizen of the United States of America.
- The candidate may be of any national descent or background.
- While the Liebmann Fellowship does not permit travel outside the country while holding the fellowship, an applicant may have conducted research abroad prior to applying for the fellowship.
November 15, 2023
- Each fellowship along with Rackham support will cover actual tuition costs plus an $18,000 annual stipend as well as medical and dental benefits.
- The recipient of a fellowship shall be known as a Dolores Zohrab Liebmann Fellow.
- Fellowships are awarded annually. Each fellow MUST APPLY FOR A RENEWAL of his or her fellowship by March 31 of the following year in accordance with the terms in effect at the time the fellowship is awarded. Fellowships will be limited to a maximum of three years.
- If a student needs to defer to study abroad, the award can only be deferred once up to one academic year. Please reach out to Rackham Finance and Fellowships at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A fellowship may be canceled at any time if a fellow engages in misconduct affecting the fund, breaches any of these rules, or provides false information to the fund either directly or indirectly.
Students must email applications and supporting documents in one combined PDF to RackhamFF@umich.edu. Recommenders should send their letters directly to RackhamFF@umich.edu. Official transcripts must be submitted by mail or in-person at
0120 Rackham Building
915 East Washington Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1070