To be eligible, an applicant must be:
- Admitted to study in a master’s or doctoral program at the University of Michigan.
- In good academic standing.
- Not currently a recipient of a KCP Initiative Fellowship Award at another institution.
- Have not received another KCP Fellowship Award for the same degree level (master’s or doctorate).
- Not currently in default status on any guaranteed student loan and/or a KCP Loan.
- A citizen of the United States.
- A resident of the State of Michigan who meets the University of Michigan’s requirements for residency.
- Planning and able to teach in postsecondary education.
- Academically or economically disadvantaged (as defined by the KCP Initiative).
For detailed descriptions of the eligibility requirements, see the King-Chavez-Parks Initiative Future Faculty Fellowship Eligibility Requirements (PDF). Applicants must satisfy all eight criteria in Section 1 and at least one criterion from Section 2 to be eligible.
Applications will be reviewed by a committee of faculty members affiliated with the Rackham Graduate School. Preference will be given to applicants who meet the following selection criteria:
- Outstanding academic credentials and recommendations
- Close to completing their studies
- Present a convincing case for the use of the fellowship
- Resident of the State of Michigan per the U-M Registrar’s Office classification
- Personal statement of purpose indicates a plan to for postsecondary teaching after completion of degree
Educational and career goal statement links the applicant’s interest, academic preparation, and current studies to his or her future plans.
Monday, March 11, 2024
The amount of the KCP Future Faculty Fellowship Award will depend on the student’s financial needs. The maximum available award is $20,000 for master’s students and $35,000 for doctoral students. The award can be used as a stipend or to help pay tuition. Please note that students who qualify for need-based financial aid (including the child care subsidy) and receive additional Rackham funding may be subject to a reduction in the original loan amounts or subsidy. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid for help in evaluating your individual circumstances.
Conditions of the Award
Master’s KCP Future Faculty Fellows agree to pursue and obtain a master’s degree within four (4) years of receiving this fellowship award. Fellows must either pursue a doctoral degree at a postsecondary educational institution within one (1) year after attaining their master’s degree or begin a teaching or approved administrative career in a two- or four-year postsecondary institution and continue this employment for a minimum of three (3) years. Doctoral KCP Future Faculty Fellows agree to pursue and obtain a doctoral degree within eight (8) years of beginning doctoral study. Fellows must begin a teaching or approved administrative career at a postsecondary educational institution within one (1) year after attaining their doctoral degree, and remain in employment at a postsecondary institution for a period of not less than three (3) years.
The KCP Initiative Future Faculty Fellowship shall Revert to a Loan subject to repayment to the State of Michigan if:
- Good academic standing is not maintained.
- The degree is not attained within the time frame above after the beginning of the award period.
- The fellow does not pursue an academic or approved administrative career as stated under “Conditions” above.
- The fellow does not remain in an academic or approved administrative career for a three year period (amount may be prorated accordingly).
The application must include the following:
- Personal statement including your educational and career goals linking your interests, academic preparation, and current studies with your future plans. The main focus of the statement should be your research and the timetable for completing your dissertation. Explain the progress of your research, the time period in which you hope to use the KCP fellowship and how you expect to meet the conditions of the fellowship by using your degree in teaching in a postsecondary institution. Budget including the amount of the fellowship funding requested and a list of specific expenses for the period covered by the grant. Specify all research related expenses. (1,500 words)
- Budget statement regarding your current means of support (including source, amount, and length of support) and living expenses. (1,500 words)
- Copy of dissertation prospectus if completed; otherwise, include a description of your proposed research. (1,500 words)
- Three letters of recommendation, including one from your dissertation chair (or faculty advisor for master’s level students) describing your research and progress towards completion.
- Current curriculum vitae (c.v.)
Applicants must include the details in their personal statement if they are a past recipient of a KCP fellowship.
Apply for the King-Chavez-Parks Future Faculty Fellowship
For questions regarding KCP FFF eligibility or the application process, please contact [email protected].