Completing the Doctoral Degree Requirements
View your committee on Wolverine Access to verify that it is correct. This can be found on your unofficial transcript or the “View My Committee Information” link under Student Business: Academic Records. If adjustments need to be made, have your program submit a dissertation committee form immediately. It is recommended that you complete this step at least 6 months prior to the defense.
At least three weeks prior to the oral defense, register online for a pre-defense review. When registering, you will provide your name; program; U-M identification number; defense date, time, and location; and information about your committee members, including email addresses.
Begin viewing your committee on Wolverine Access three days prior to your defense to confirm all members have submitted their evaluation. (All members must complete an evaluation before OARD can authorize the defense.) After confirming all evaluations have been received, your Oral Report form (that all members must sign at the defense) will be available to print through the online evaluation system. Be sure that a copy of that form is taken to the oral defense and signed by the committee members.
Submit all of the required content revisions and corrections to your committee chair for approval.
Arrange for a post-defense submission that must take place before the doctoral deadline. If the final deadline is exceeded, you will be required to enroll in the full term in which degree requirements are completed and pay tuition for 8 credit hours.
Before Submitting the Final Dissertation
- Apply for graduation via Wolverine Access Student Business (required)
- Complete the online NSF Survey of Earned Doctorates (required)
- Complete the Rackham Doctoral Recipients exit survey
- Verify that your committee Chair has submitted the Final Oral Examination Report and the Certificate of Dissertation Committee Approval to Rackham OARD.
The Post-Defense Submission
Submit a complete, final, correctly formatted PDF of the dissertation (to be the official copy on record in the University Deep Blue digital archive).
- Allow a minimum of 2 working days for us to review your dissertation.
- Log in using your uniqname and Kerberos password.
- Read and agree to the terms of the Author’s Deposit Agreement.
- Cut and paste your abstract into the designated space (550 word limit, no special characters).
- Select a category and topic from the drop-down menu that most closely classifies your dissertation.
- Enter at least one (up to 6) keywords or phrases associated with your dissertation topic.
- During the submission process, you will have the opportunity to submit your dissertation to ProQuest. Although optional, it is recommended. You must opt out of submitting to ProQuest if you are requesting an embargo. Embargo information and form are on our website here.
OARD will perform a final format check. If format revisions are required you will need to make the corrections and re-submit the dissertation before 5:00 p.m. EST on the deadline. Be mindful that more than 90% of submitted dissertations need format revisions and often need to be re-submitted more than once. The 5:00 p.m. deadline for the final corrected submission is firm and extensions are not permitted.
- No changes are permitted to your dissertation once it is submitted online and you have received final approval from Rackham OARD.
- Your dissertation will not be available in Deep Blue until after your degree conferral date.
- If the final deadline is not met, you must register and pay for an 8 hour enrollment in the term the final degree requirements are completed.
- Your diploma and transcript will not be issued if monies are owed. Verify your financial status with the Student Financial Services (phone (734) 764-7447). Diploma information may be found at the Registrar’s website.
Contact Academic Records and Dissertations
0120 Rackham Building
915 E. Washington St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1070
Academic Records and Dissertations is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The office is closed Saturdays and Sundays and on the following holidays: Thanksgiving (Thursday and the following Friday), Christmas through New Year's, Memorial Day, Independence Day (July 4), and Labor Day.