Select Page
Home » Navigating Your Degree » Registering for Classes

Registering for Classes

Wolverine Access

The University of Michigan’s web-based class registration process (Wolverine Access) gives you the ability to search for the classes you want. For specific information on class registration procedures, check Wolverine Access Online Help, the printed schedule of classes, or the Registrar’s Office website.

The university student system stores various types of information including:

  • Student Information: student name, ID number, school or college, number of credits toward program, etc.
  • Course information: course titles, times, locations, number of spaces available, prerequisites, wait-lists for some courses, etc.
  • Student Accounting Information: students with outstanding bills, plus amounts and sources of each bill
  • Course Selections: Each student’s course selections after they have registered

Hours Available

Information can be accessed through Wolverine Access from 6:00 a.m. to 4:00 a.m., Monday through Friday, Saturday 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., and Sunday 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 a.m.


To register for classes, you need a university uniqname and password. You will also need an appointment—you will receive an email notification for your appointment time on Wolverine Access.

Before your registration appointment time, be sure you have a list of the classes you want and some alternatives. You can check the open or closed status of a class and look to see if the class has enrollment restrictions or reserve capacities on Wolverine Access.

You will need the Class Number (a unique identifier for each section and component of a class within a term) of each class for which you register. Courses may have multiple components, which consist of a primary component (such as lecture) and a secondary or auto-enroll component (such as a discussion or lab). You will be prompted to add a secondary component after you register for the primary component. Auto-enroll components are automatically added to your schedule.

If a course has entry restrictions (for example, permission of instructor, CEW+, etc.), you should contact the department or program office to obtain an electronic override.

After registering, be sure to check over your schedule on Wolverine Access to make sure that you have elected all the components of a course, that there are no time conflicts, and that the correct modifiers are indicated.

If you are unable to register because your term has not been activated, you must contact your school or college. This usually happens when you are not making satisfactory academic progress or have been suspended or dismissed. Only the school or college can re-activate your eligibility. This may appear on your official transcript as a notation that the faculty has taken an action on your record.

Closed Courses

If a course or section is closed and a wait-list is available, you can be put on the wait-list through the registration system. If Wolverine Access does not handle the wait-list, the department may. Find out from the department how it handles a wait-list because procedures differ. If a wait-list is not available, check Wolverine Access to see if the course opens up or if the department has added new sections. You may also try to obtain special permission to register for the class. If you obtain permission, you must access registration and then add the course. Even if you can’t get on the wait-list ahead of time, you should attend the first day of class. Some professors will give registration permission to students who attend the first lecture.

Financial Holds

You will not be allowed to register if you have any financial holds (outstanding fees or bills owed to the university). Several offices (Health Services, University Libraries, Student Financial Operations, Student Loans, Telecommunications, etc.) report outstanding bills to the Cashier’s Office, and these charges are placed against your student account.

If you owe money, you must pay your bill at the Cashier’s Office at 2226 Student Activities Building. Be sure to TELL THE CASHIER YOU ARE PAYING A FINANCIAL HOLD. The Cashier’s Office will then enter your “paid” status in the computer so you can register. If you do not mention that you are paying a financial hold, the payment will not be credited to your account immediately. It may take as long as a week before the payment appears in the system and the financial hold is removed.

Changing Your Schedule

You may change your schedule by dropping, adding, or modifying a course or changing sections at any time after you register until the drop/add deadline for your school (if your school permits drop/add). Deadlines and procedures may vary from school to school, so check with your advising office for details.

To drop/add, you should access the registration system, select add a class, drop a class, or swap a class (in which dropping one course or section depends on successfully adding another course or section).

You may add “modifiers” to your class elections after registering. A modifier indicates your intention to take a class under special circumstances (pass/fail). Be aware of the restrictions on modifiers and realize that they are often school-specific. For more information, check with your academic advisor. Be sure the modifier appears on the schedule you see on Wolverine Access.

Remember, to receive most types of financial aid each term, the Office of Financial Aid requires you to carry a full academic load (eight credits for graduate students and six credits for graduate students with a GSI appointment). If you are not registered full-time at the time the payment is to be processed, you will not be able to receive your aid. Also, your enrollment will be monitored throughout the term, not just at the beginning. Check your financial aid award notice, or for further information, contact the Office of Financial Aid at 734.763.6600.

The Registrar’s Office has a deadline for drop/add fee adjustments. If you drop or add a course by the end of the third week of classes (second week for spring and summer half terms), your fees will be based on the hours for which you are registered on that date. If you drop a course after that, however, there will be no reduction in fees. You will have to pay for those course hours even though you dropped the course. If you add another course after that, your fees will be based on the total hours for which you are registered. Check the Registrar’s Office website for dates and procedures.

If you process any course changes after the third week of a term (second week of the half term), authorization is needed. Check with your school or college for details. If you drop a class after the drop/add deadline, a “ W” (for “withdrawal”) will permanently appear on your transcript for the dropped class. Do not depend on a department to drop or add you to a class; process the change yourself to make sure the change is done officially.

Early Registration

You can register in November/December for winter term and in March/April for spring half, spring-summer, summer half, or the following fall term. Continuing students are issued registration appointments during these times. You will receive email notification when appointments become available on Wolverine Access. Since most continuing students go through early registration, this is a busy time. Also, there will probably be more open courses during early registration. If you are eligible to register early, it is certainly to your advantage to do so.

Late Registration Fee

A $50.00 late registration fee is charged if you register beginning the first day of classes. This fee is increased by $25.00 at the beginning of each subsequent month.

Correcting the Official Record

To change any of the following parts of your official record, go to one of the Registrar’s Student Service Site at 1207 LSA Building or B430 Pierpont Commons.


Permanent, current, and billing addresses should be changed through Wolverine Access. Your current address is used by the Registrar for mailing of official university information during the term (for example, student statements of accounts, grades, etc.). It will automatically be listed in the student directory, unless you specifically request to have it unlisted. Be sure to update your current address each time it changes. Billing address should be used only if you want your tuition bill sent to a location other than your current address.

School or College

(for example, Rackham, Law, Social Work) This should be corrected automatically. If there is an error or you need the record updated immediately, such as to register for classes, you will need your letter of admission as proof.


Bring appropriate supporting documentation showing the change in name.

Class Year

This should change automatically, but if there is an error, go to the Registrar’s Student Service Site.


The following process must be handled at the location indicated:

Residency determinations for tuition and admission purposes must be handled at the Residency Classification Office, 1210 LSA Building, 734.764.1400 Residency Classification Office.

How to Disenroll

In order to disenroll (drop all classes prior to the first day of the term), you must contact the Registrar’s Office. Once the term begins, you must obtain a withdrawal notice from your school or college. Depending on when you decide to disenroll, you may be eligible for a fee adjustment. The assessment policy is as follows: if you withdraw from the university prior to the first day of classes, you will be assessed no fees. If you withdraw within the first three weeks of the full term (two weeks of spring and summer half terms), you will be charged a disenrollment fee plus a registration fee. If you withdraw between the end of the third week and the end of the sixth week (or during the third week of spring or summer half terms), you will be charged fifty percent of your course fees and the registration fee. If you withdraw anytime after the sixth week (third week of spring or summer half terms), you will be charged the full amount of your course fees. Note that housing leases are not automatically canceled when you disenroll. If you live in university housing, you must notify your hall desk and turn in your keys. Charges continue until then. Also, note that if you have been awarded financial aid, you may need to repay some of it if you do not complete the term. Be sure to notify the Office of Financial Aid if you plan to disenroll.

Unless specifically stated otherwise by your academic unit, any graduate student who is eligible to re-enroll in the same school or college of the university may do so without applying for readmission, provided that the term of re-entry begins within twelve months from the last completed term. If you are not enrolled for more than twelve months, you must apply for readmission through the appropriate admitting office.

Contact Academic Records and Dissertations

0120 Rackham Building
915 East Washington Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1070
Phone: 734.763.0171
Fax: 734.936.3335


Academic Records and Dissertations is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

The office is closed Saturdays and Sundays and on the following holidays: Thanksgiving (Thursday and the following Friday), Christmas through New Year's, Memorial Day, Independence Day (July 4), and Labor Day.