Select Page
Home » Rackham Life » Conflict Resolution and Student Grievances

Conflict Resolution and Student Grievances

Rackham Graduate School offers graduate students and postdoctoral fellows formal and informal dispute resolution services, provides resources and referrals, and can offer alternative resolutions in consultation with other offices as appropriate. All can expect confidentiality in a safe environment.


Rackham Academic Dispute Resolution Policy and Procedures

Rackham’s Academic Dispute Resolution Policy and Procedures are available to Rackham students who have a dispute or disagreement with faculty or staff about the equity and fairness of decisions or procedures that affect their academic standing, the conduct of their research, and progress toward the degree.

Resolution Officers by School or College

LocationFirst NameLast NameEmail
Architecture and Urban PlanningAnyaSirota[email protected]
DentistryNevilleMcDonald[email protected]
EducationShamilleOrr[email protected]
EngineeringAngelaSaghar Farrehi[email protected]
Environment and SustainabilityKimElliott[email protected]
Ford School of Public PolicySusanGuindi[email protected]
InformationKatyPeters[email protected]
KinesiologySteveBroglio[email protected]
Medicine (Medical School)ScottBarolo[email protected]
Music, Theater, and DanceMelyneeWeber-Lynch[email protected]
NursingKathrynNelson[email protected]
PharmacyMarkNelson[email protected]
Public HealthRachelCasanova[email protected]
Ross School of BusinessBrianJones[email protected]
Social WorkRichardTolman[email protected]
STAMPS School of Art and DesignEliseFrankish[email protected]

Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities

The university has established a statement of student rights and responsibilities that sets forth the values of the university community, describes the types of behaviors which violate those values, and establishes a process for resolving allegations of misconduct. In addition, the various schools and colleges have their own standards of academic and non-academic conduct. These are called Honor Codes, Policies on Academic Dishonesty, or Grievance Procedures. Regardless of their titles, these policies are published in each school or college’s Bulletin. The procedures for settling grievances and the kinds of grievances allowed varies from school to school. If you have a complaint, be sure to check with your school or college’s dean’s office or student services office to see what procedures you should follow to file your grievance as soon as possible in case there is a time limitation on the process.

Statement of Rackham Graduate Faculty Values, Privileges, and Responsibilities

The Rackham Graduate School Executive Board has adopted into its bylaws a statement of values, privileges, and responsibilities of the Rackham graduate faculty. The statement, which was adopted after consultation with the Rackham community, serves as a positive expression of the professional standards of the Rackham graduate faculty and complements the professional and academic standards that have already been established for Rackham graduate students. The graduate school also has developed a process to address allegations that a graduate faculty member has consistently or egregiously failed to uphold these standards. Allegations are brought to the attention of the Rackham dean, followed by a preliminary inquiry, a committee investigation when deemed appropriate, and a determination of whether sanctions are warranted.

Where to Go for Help

Graduate Student and Program Consultation Services (GSPCS)

Rackham’s Graduate Student and Program Consultation Services (GSPCS) provides a safe and confidential environment to discuss concerns, and advises faculty, postdoctoral fellows, staff, and students on matters related to emergencies, crisis situations, disputes, and student conduct violations. GSPCS’s resolution services also provide information about Rackham Graduate School and university policies and procedures, makes referrals, and offers resources when appropriate.

To request a meeting with a Resolution Officer please fill out our intake form. Persons submitting this form may self-identify or remain anonymous. If you self-identify, you will receive a response. Anonymous reporting, however, will limit the university’s ability to respond and support. The information will be treated confidentially.

Office of the Ombuds

The University Ombuds office is a safe place where student questions, complaints, and concerns about the functioning of the university can be discussed confidentially. Rather than being an advocate for either side in a dispute, the Office of the Ombuds serves as an impartial advocate for fair and consistent treatment. Through informal dispute resolution services, resources, referrals, and discussion of available options, the work of the ombuds office may supplement more formal university-wide and unit-specific dispute resolution processes.

Office of Student Conflict Resolution (OSCR)

The Office of Student Conflict Resolution promotes a safe and scholarly community in which students navigate conflict in a peaceful, socially just, and self-reflexive manner. OSCR offers a spectrum of conflict resolution pathways that are educationally focused, student-driven, community owned, and restorative in nature, which are adaptable to meet the needs of individuals experiencing conflict.

Equity, Civil Rights, and Title IX Office

The Equity, Civil Rights, and Title IX Office (ECRT) oversees, facilitates, and supports the U-M’s efforts to ensure equal opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status in employment educational programs and activities and admissions.