Select Page
Home » Rackham Life » Housing


There are three main types of graduate student housing at Michigan:

  • University owned and operated apartments and townhomes (called on-campus housing)
  • Student-owned cooperatives
  • Off-campus housing, such as privately owned and operated houses and apartments (off-campus does not necessarily refer to the location, but merely that it is not operated by the University)

Family and Single Graduate Housing

There is a high demand for on-campus housing. The University maintains the Northwood Community Apartments and Townhomes which consist of nearly 1,100 family and single graduate housing units on North Campus. Located on Central Campus, the Munger Graduate Residences are designed specifically for graduate and professional level students from all U-M schools and colleges to foster a trans-disciplinary community where students live and exchange ideas together. The building features furnished apartments with 6 to 7 single-occupancy bedroom suites, each with a private bathroom. For more information, contact University Housing.

Cooperative Housing (Co-ops)

Another option is cooperative housing (co-ops). Co-ops are owned and run by the members who live in them. More information about this type of housing can be found through the Inter-cooperative Council at U-M.

Off-Campus Housing

Beyond the Diag, a Division of Student Affairs program housed in the Dean of Students Office, has launched the official University of Michigan Off-Campus Housing website. The user-friendly website allows you to search property listings by rental price and various amenities, plus view high definition pictures of individual properties. Featuring an interactive map, you will be able to determine a property’s location in proximity to Central and North Campus, in addition to local bus routes (both AAATA and U-M bus routes).

If you are looking for a roommate, the site’s Roommate Finder and Message Boards–accessible only to U-M students, faculty, and staff–allow users to search for roommates and subtenants within the U-M community. To log in, simply use your uniqname and Kerberos password.

Visit the Student Resources section for links to helpful information and services. A Rental Resources section includes information on Forms and Agreements, Before You Sign A Lease, Once You Move In, and Student Safety Tips.

Know Your Rights

When renting anywhere, knowing your rights and responsibilities may help you avoid unnecessary problems and expenses. There are several good sources of off-campus housing information and advisory assistance available to U-M students. In addition to the resources on the Off-Campus Housing website, the office’s staff will help you interpret leases, discuss how to avoid or solve problems, and provide you with specific information about your rights and duties.

Should you encounter problems, the Off-Campus Housing Assistance dispute resolution service for student tenants and registered landlords/property managers aims to resolve off-campus housing disputes between parties by using shuttle negotiation to reach a mutually desired outcome. Additionally, Student Legal Services (SLS) provides free legal assistance to enrolled U-M students.