Step 1: Upload a Scanned Copy of the Official Transcript to ApplyWeb
- All applicants are required to upload a scanned copy, front and back, of their official transcript/academic record issued by the Registrar or Records Office, to ApplyWeb for each Bachelor’s, Master’s, Professional, or Doctoral degree earned or in progress. The scanned copy of the official transcript is used for initial review by the graduate program faculty.
- A downloaded transcript from your school portal or system is an unofficial transcript and not acceptable for review.
- Some programs only require an official transcript be sent to Rackham after an offer of admission is made. Follow the graduate program’s requirements and instructions.
Step 2: Submit the Official Transcript
Before sending an official transcript to Rackham, check the graduate program’s website to see if an official transcript is required at time of application. Some programs only require that an official transcript be sent to Rackham after an offer of admission is made. Follow the graduate program’s requirements and instructions.
- If you are attending or have graduated from a Non-U.S. institution, review the Required Academic Credentials from Non-U.S. Institutions for requirements by country.
- Submit an official transcript/academic record, front and back, issued by the Registrar or Records Office for each Bachelor’s, Master’s, Professional, or Doctoral degree earned or in progress.
- If you have community or junior college, non-degree or study abroad coursework, indicate this information on page 9 of the application under the “Additional Education Information” section. Do not submit any transcripts from a community or junior college, non-degree, or study abroad coursework to Rackham unless you attended a Non-U.S. institution.
- Submit only official transcripts/academic records. These bear the issuing institution’s seal and the official signature of the Registrar or Recorder of Records.
- U-M Ann Arbor Applicants (Current or Previous Students): Do not submit your U-M Ann Arbor transcript. Rackham will obtain your U-M Ann Arbor transcript internally. Submit only degree transcripts from other institutions you attended including U-M Dearborn or U-M Flint.
Submitting the Official Transcript/Academic Record to Rackham
Submit an e-transcript or paper transcript
- E-transcripts are strongly preferred. Do not submit the same transcript both electronically and by paper.
Request the Registrar (or Recorder of Records) send an electronic transcript and Transcripts/Academic Records Submission Form to firstname.lastname@example.org. The transcripts cannot be an email attachment or forwarded email. If it is not possible to include the Transcripts/Academic Records Submission Form, do not mail or submit separately.
- If your institution uses National Student Clearing House as their electronic transcript vendor, select “Electronic Transcript Exchange” as the delivery method if that is an option.
- If your institution uses Parchment as their electronic transcript vendor, select “An Academic Organization, Admissions Office, Business, or Other Organization” and search for “University of Michigan Rackham Graduate School.” Do not select “Yourself or Another Individual.”
- Applicants have the option (not mandatory) to use Certifile transcript submission through their ApplyWeb account. ApplyWeb has partnered with Educational Perspectives (EP) and Digitary Inc. to verify, evaluate, and deliver your credentials electronically to our office.
- Benefits of using electronic submission:
- Your credential elevations or verifications will be submitted directly to the Rackham Graduate School.
- You only need to request one set for all Rackham applications if applying to more than one program.
- This will complete STEP 2 in the Transcript Submission Two-Step Process. Do not submit paper copies of the same credentials.
Paper Transcript Instructions
If an e-transcript option is not available, submit a paper transcript and Transcripts/Academic Records Submission Form, in the envelope sealed by the institution, directly to:
Rackham Graduate School
Attn: Transcripts/U-M ID# or Transcripts/Date of Birth (mm/dd/yyyy)
915 E. Washington Street
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1070
If it is not possible to include the Transcripts/Academic Records Submission Form, do not mail or submit it separately.
Original educational documents will not be returned. All documentation received becomes the property of the University of Michigan and will not be returned.
Transcript Frequently Asked Questions
I ordered an electronic transcript and can’t upload the file to ApplyWeb. What should I do?
If you are unable to upload a copy of your official e-transcript due to security settings.
- Print a copy of your e-transcript.
- Scan the printed transcript and upload.
What type of transcript should I order for Rackham?
Submit only official transcripts. These bear the issuing institution’s seal and the official signature of the Registrar (or Recorder of Records).
For those enrolled in degree study at the time of application, submit only the most recent in-progress transcript for that degree.
Which document formats are not accepted by Rackham?
- A scanned copy of an official transcript (only allowed for the upload on ApplyWeb -Step 1).
- Academic records printed from your school’s website.
- A paper transcript that is not sealed in the institution’s envelope.
- An evaluation provided by a credential service, for example, Educational Credentials Evaluators (ECE) or World Education Services (WES). Exception: the Rackham Graduate School will accept electronic evaluations from Educational Perspectives (EP).
- A “true” copy prepared and signed by a faculty member, city or government official, or notary public.
Do I need to submit an updated transcript to Rackham after the grades are available for the term in progress?
No. Do not submit an updated transcript to Rackham.
I applied previously and submitted my official transcripts then. Do I need to submit them again?
Yes. Applicants need to submit a new set of official transcripts for each semester they apply.
How will I know if my transcript has been received?
Before viewing whether your transcripts/academic records have been received you must:
- Submit an application.
- Create a Friend Account if you do not have a UMICH uniqname and Kerberos password when you receive the confirmation email directing you to set up your account.
- Log into Wolverine Access and select New & Prospective Student Business.
Allow 7 to 10 business days for Rackham to process your official transcripts/academic records and mark them as received in your Wolverine Access Friend Account.
For applicants whose programs direct them to not submit their official transcript at time of application: Wolverine Access will indicate the transcript as “Not Received.” This will not affect your application review. Do not send the official transcript until directed to do so.
0120 Rackham Building
915 E. Washington St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1070
Admissions is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The office is closed Saturdays and Sundays and on the following holidays: Thanksgiving (Thursday and the following Friday), Christmas through New Year's, Memorial Day, Independence Day (July 4), and Labor Day.