Frequently Asked Questions
Can I participate as a member in more than one RIW?
Yes, the Workshops are designed to ease the isolation that can characterize dissertation work in some fields.
Can I serve as a student coordinator in more than one RIW?
No, it is strongly discouraged due to the time commitment the RIW will require.
How many faculty sponsors can each RIW have?
Each RIW can have up to four faculty sponsors.
What is the minimum number members required to form an RIW?
The RIW is required to have at least six members.
How many student coordinators can a RIW have?
The RIW may have up to ten student coordinators. One of which must be a candidate, preferably in their 3rd to 6th year of study.
When is the deadline to apply for a new or to renew an RIW?
The deadline for renewals or new requests is July 21 for full year funding or January 4 for the remainder of the year.
What is the annual funding limit?
The annual funding limit is $5000 for the full year and $2500 for the remainder of the academic year.
Will the RIW run a deficit?
Yes, the RIW will run a deficit and funds will be distributed to the shortcode created by the RIW’s finance administrator. Funding is distributed after the year-end report has been submitted and approved by the associate dean, Arthur Verhoogt.
What type of expenses are appropriate for the RIW?
- Reading materials. Any decision to purchase items for individual participants, such as books, should be subjected to strict scrutiny. It must be clear that such purchases directly support workshop activities.
- Tickets for common activities such as exhibits and films
- Mileage for students to in-state events
- Website hosting subscription
- Room rental fees
- Honoraria for visiting speaker (may not exceed $500 for an individual speaker)
- Travel (e.g. hotel, flights) for visiting speaker
- Food, including meals for visiting speaker and food/beverages for functions (the total of all food and beverages may not exceed $1,000 for the full year or $500 for winter semester)
- Prizes and gifts are not considered appropriate expenses.
Can an RIW divide the student stipend?
Yes, the stipend can be shared if there is more than one coordinator. However, the amount cannot exceed $1500 with the minimum of $500 in total.
When is the year-end report due?
The year-end report is due June 1 of each academic year.
Can I submit a renewal prior to submitting the year-end report?
No. The system will not allow the RIW to renew until Rackham has received the year-end report.
Can postdocs serve as RIW coordinator?
No. Postdocs can participate in RIW, but they cannot serve as RIW coordinator.