Select Page

Home » Rackham Life » Help and Support

Help and Support

If you encounter challenges or problems either academically or in your personal life during your time as a graduate student, there are many resources available at Rackham and the University of Michigan to assist you. If you do not find what you need in the information on these pages, we encourage you to contact the Rackham Resolution Officer or the office of Partnerships for Access, Community, and Excellence and we can direct you to the appropriate resources.

Who to Contact at Rackham

Graduate Student and Program Consultation Services (GSPCS)

The Graduate Student and Program Consultation Services (GSPCS) office provides a range of support services for graduate students, faculty, staff, and postdoctoral fellows. We offer a safe and confidential environment to discuss concerns and explore options for resolution. GSPCS advises students, faculty, staff, and postdoctoral fellows on matters related to emergencies, crisis situations, academic misconduct, student progress, disputes, and student conduct violations.

Contact a Resolution Officer by email or phone 734.764.4400 if you:

  • Have a problem or conflict involving the university and don’t know where to go to solve it.
  • Feel your concerns are not being heard.
  • Need information about policies and procedures affecting you.
  • Believe your rights have been violated or you have not been given due process.
  • Need help to resolve or mediate a dispute with faculty or administrative staff.
  • Feel you have been treated unfairly or insensitively.
  • Have a death in the family or other personal or family emergency and you are seeking resources for assistance.
Request a Meeting

To request a meeting with a Resolution Officer please fill out our intake form. Persons submitting this form may self-identify or remain anonymous. If you self-identify, you will receive a response. Anonymous reporting, however, will limit the university’s ability to respond and support. The information will be treated confidentially.

Contact GSPCS for assistance at the earliest stages of a problem before your problem escalates.

Rackham’s Leave of Absence Coordinator

Ph.D. students may request a leave of absence when certain life events prevent continued active participation in their degree program. Rackham’s Leave of Absence Policy enables students to officially suspend work toward their degree for a limited time. A leave will be granted to students for illness (either physical or mental) or injury, to enable them to provide care or assistance for family or dependents, to allow them to meet military service obligations, or for other personal reasons. If you have questions, please email Rackham’s Leave of Absence Coordinator or call (734) 615-5670.

Counseling and Psychological Services

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) staff know that it is common for graduate students to feel overwhelmed by academic and life demands. If you are interested in receiving counseling services, please call 734-764-8312, or visit the CAPS website, for more information about their services and to view staff biographies and graduate student-specific services.

In addition to services at their central location, CAPS has an embedded staff member dedicated to the Rackham Graduate School. Dr. Laura Monschau, is available at the Rackham Building (Suite 3560, Room 3572) to work specifically with graduate students. If you would like to schedule an appointment with her, please email her at [email protected]. All counseling services are free and confidential.

What do I do for a mental health crisis or emergency?

If you are in crisis, there is a counselor-on-duty at CAPS during business hours. If this is an urgent after hours matter, please call CAPS at 734-764-8312 and select “0” to be connected with a crisis counselor. If it is an emergency, please call Psychiatric Emergency Services (734-936-5900) or dial 911.

Other Campus Resources

Conflict Resolution and Student Grievances

There are several formal and informal dispute resolution services available to graduate students to help you if conflicts arise.

Discrimination and Harassment

Review policies and procedures related to discrimination and harassment, and find out where to get help at Rackham and across the university.

Physical and Mental Health Resources

There are dozens of campus and community resources devoted to keeping you healthy and to help you when you are not feeling your best.

Legal Assistance

Student Legal Services is a free full-service law office available to currently enrolled U-M students. Services include landlord/tenant disputes, criminal defense, divorce/family law, notary service, wills, and more.

Emergency Financial Support

There are several types of assistance for students experiencing an emergency situation or one-time, unusual, or unforeseen expense while in school.

Student Communities

Information and community connections are available for: