Steps in the Admissions Process
1. Create an ApplyWeb Account to Begin Your Application
- Use your full legal name as it appears on your passport. See directions and related information for creating an ApplyWeb account.
- If you are submitting more than one application, ApplyWeb will require you to complete your first application before starting the next.
2. Obtain a University of Michigan ID (U-M ID) Number
- A U-M ID number will be issued to you via email within five business days of completing pages one through five and advancing to page six of the ApplyWeb application. Include your U-M ID number on all of your application materials to ensure accurate and timely processing.
- If you need to submit your application before you receive your U-M ID number, you may still complete the application. Include your date of birth and the program’s name on your application materials.
- Current and former U-M Ann Arbor students, alumni, and employees do not need to obtain a new U-M ID number. Use your previously obtained U-M ID number.
- If your personal information has changed (for example, legal name, gender, etc.), make sure the personal information you submit with your application matches your previous Ann Arbor campus record. If your previous Ann Arbor campus record does not display your current personal information, contact the Registrar’s Office or the Shared Services Center to change your personal information before you apply.
3. Upload Files and Submit Application
- Upload your transcripts, curriculum vitae or resume, academic statement of purpose, personal statement, and other documents to ApplyWeb, and fill in all required fields.
- Submit your completed application.
4. Order Test Scores
5. Check That Letters of Recommendation Have Been Submitted
Use ApplyWeb to check the status of the letters. See reminders about what you can and cannot change after you’ve registered a recommender.
6. Complete Any Additional Steps Required by the Graduate Program
Refer to the graduate program’s website and follow any instructions provided by them regarding additional materials, scores, special instructions for statements, etc.
7. Create a U-M Friend Account if You Are New to the University
About five business days after you submit your application you will receive an email confirming that Rackham has downloaded your application from ApplyWeb. This email will direct you to set up your friend account.
- Go to the Friend Account Request Form and enter your email address.
- You will receive a confirmation email with a link to create your friend account.
- For more information, see the Information and Technology Services website.
8. Watch for Email Notifications
The graduate program and Rackham will email you throughout this process.
0120 Rackham Building
915 East Washington Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1070
Admissions is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The office is closed Saturdays and Sundays and on the following holidays: Thanksgiving (Thursday and the following Friday), Christmas through New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day (July 4), and Labor Day.