Checklist for Completing the Application Process
1. Create an ApplyWeb Account to Begin Your Application
Use your full legal name as it appears on your passport. See directions and related information for creating an ApplyWeb account.
2. Obtain a University of Michigan ID (U-M ID) Number
- A U-M ID number will be issued to you via email within 5 business days of completing pages 1-5 and advancing to page 6 of the ApplyWeb application. Having your U-M ID number to include on all your application materials ensures accurate and timely processing, so we encourage you to complete pages 1-5 early in the process.
- If you need to submit your application before you receive your U-M ID number, you may still complete the application. Include your date of birth and the program’s name on your application materials.
- Current and former U-M Ann Arbor students, alumni and employees: You do not need to obtain a new U-M ID number. Use your previously obtained U-M ID number.
- If your personal information has changed (for example, legal name, gender), make sure the personal information you submit with your application matches your previous Ann Arbor campus record. If your previous Ann Arbor campus record does not display your current personal information, contact the Registrar’s Office or the Shared Services Center to change your personal information before you apply.
3. Upload Files and Submit Application(s)
Upload your transcripts, curriculum vitae or resume, academic statement of purpose, personal statement, and other documents to ApplyWeb, and fill in all required fields. Submit your completed application.
If you are submitting more than one application, ApplyWeb will require you to complete your first application before starting the next.
4. Official Transcripts
Some programs only require an official transcript be sent to Rackham at the time of application. Consult the graduate program website for specific transcript requirements and instructions.
Include a Transcripts/Academic Records Submission Form for each transcript submitted, if possible. If it is not possible to include the form, do not mail or submit separately.
Current and previous U-M Ann Arbor students do not need to submit their U-M transcript.
5. Order Test Scores
6. Check That Letters of Recommendation Have Been Submitted
Use ApplyWeb to check the status of the letters. See reminders about what you can and cannot change after you’ve registered a recommender.
7. Complete Any Additional Steps Required by the Graduate Program
Refer to the graduate program’s website and follow any instructions provided by them regarding additional materials, scores, special instructions for statements, etc.
8. Create a U-M Friend Account if you are new to the University
After you submit your application and receive the email directing you to set up your friend account:
- Enter your email address into the Friend Account Request Form.
- Follow the instructions in the confirmation email to log into Wolverine Access > New and Prospective Student Business to create your Friend Account.
You will need to enter your U-M ID and birthdate. For more instructions, see the Information and Technology Services website.
9. Watch for Email Notifications
The graduate program and Rackham will email you throughout this process.
0120 Rackham Building
915 E. Washington St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1070
Admissions is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The office is closed Saturdays and Sundays and on the following holidays: Thanksgiving (Thursday and the following Friday), Christmas through New Year's, Memorial Day, Independence Day (July 4), and Labor Day.